Step 1: Identify if You QualifyMedical cannabis can support health and wellness in many ways. In West Virginia, you must be diagnosed with one of the following conditions to receive a Medical Cannabis Card
- Position status for human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Huntington’s disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Intractable seizures
- Sickle cell anemia
- Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain
- Terminal illness that is defined as a medical prognosis of life expectancy of approximately one year or less if the illness runs its normal course
Step 2: Get a Doctor’s Recommendation
Make sure your doctor is certified to recommend medical cannabis. An up-to-date list of registered doctors can be found at WV Office of Medical Cannabis.
Discuss medical cannabis with your doctor. If you both agree that it’s right for you, your doctor will supply you with a patient certification.
Tips When Meeting with Your Physician:
- Keep it professional and avoid slang terms. It’s medical cannabis, not pot or weed.
- Be ready to discuss the risks associated with cannabis consumption.
- Bring an in-date, government-issued ID to prove West Virginia residency.
When your doctor has provided you with your patient certification, you will be able to register for your patient card at WV Office of Medical Cannabis. Once submitted, the West Virginia Office of Medical Cannabis will review your application which can take between 30-60 days. If approved your patient card will be issued and you will be able to visit our dispensary to make your first purchase and get on your journey to relief.
Head to West Virginia’s government website at WV Office of Medical Cannabis. For all resources pertaining to patients, caregivers and doctors. Continue to check back for updates on the program.